Late last year, I did a Year Ahead Spread of 13 cards, 1 card per month and 1 card representing the overall theme of the year. I felt like I got the theme right – the reversed Three of Swords was the perfect card to explain my year.
It took me a while to pick myself up again from the heartache last year. Not only was I dumped by someone I liked, I was dumped in a way that struck me hard. I was feeling unwanted in general, at work and socially. I was passed around like a bad cigarette; and it hurt. I wanted so badly to be wanted.
In 2017, I bore through the first half and took my time to recover. I built up my personal metaphysical practice and paid more attention to people who mattered to me. I started meditating. In the second half, things became more of a relief and I managed to break through. Right now, in the remaining two months in the year, I think I finally feel more at peace with myself. I don’t feel as much the desire to be accepted.
I am going to go through card by card from last year’s spread to see how well I did divining my year. Also because I don’t know if anyone will be interested in this, to speed things up, I’ll be splitting my year into quarters.
First Quarter: Knight of Swords, Death, reversed King of Pentacles
- Knight of Swords makes sense. Work was speeding up. I had to really dig deep and think about how things were done. I left for a while to study and came back to a whole new project, where my senior left us in the lurch. There was a lot of brainstorming involved so I would say Knight of Swords was pretty accurate.
- I was also stalked by someone. It is almost embarrassing to say this and he may very well be reading this right now, but it helped me grow stronger and taught me a lot about my Craft. This may very well relate to Death because it did scare me NGL but I survived through it with the support of my family and friends. I don’t know the reasons but I just hope everyone is now at peace.
- The reversed King of Pentacles is interesting because I don’t recall anything significant that could be linked to that. There’s a possibility that it related to my career at that time, when I decided I should be cautious with my finances, but honestly, I should’ve kept better notes on my year. That is something I’ll be taking note of in 2018.
Second Quarter: Eight of Pentacles, reversed Seven of Wands, Queen of Cups
- Work was a slog – checked. Things were supposed to come to a head and end, but the project kept getting dragged out and we had no choice but to continue chipping at it. Eight of Pentacles is exactly where I was – just working and working.
- Having bad dates where things didn’t go the way I thought they would – checked. A reversed Seven of Wands is to me some sort of backstabbing and I was honestly surprised by how things went with some of my dates.
- The only card I don’t really resonate with is the Queen of Cups. I honestly don’t remember having any breakthroughs in my emotional self in this quarter of the year, nor did I flourish creatively. To be honest, I still don’t fully resonate with all the Court Cards so this may be a reason why I’m finding the card hard to identify with.
Third Quarter: reversed Ace of Cups, Knight of Pentacles, Two of Pentacles
- Unhealthy emotions – checked, as always LOL. A reversed Ace of Cups makes sense.
- Money, money, money – checked. As with a Knight of Pentacles, a sudden windfall that comes with maturity. I chose to stay longer at my work and I did get some money. August was my yearly bonus payout and it’s something I’ll dearly miss haha.
- Then immediately the Two of Pentacles – I was wrapping up with work at my previous company and had to go without my salary for a while. The card makes perfect sense.
Last Quarter: Ace of Swords, Four of Pentacles, Five of Cups
I have only experienced the Ace of Swords so far and it was right. I had to go through some intense training with my current company in the second half of October and now I’m apparently going to go through the Four of Pentacles, where I’ll apparently be comfortable with my wealth and prosperity; but my salary isn’t in so I’m not too sure about that.
Five of Cups rounds the year off and I really wonder what may happen; at least I’ll be prepared for it.
It’s been a really good year, healing from old wounds and moving forwards. I feel like I have had a breakthrough this year and Tarot has been a big part of it, as with the I Ching and the other parts of my Craft.
I’ll be doing another wrap-up post as part of a blog hop on my reflections of 2017 and my hopes for 2018 soon, and I also can’t wait to do another Year Ahead Spread for 2018!
I do also do Year Ahead Spreads for clients, so drop me an email at email@example.com or message me on Facebook. My prices are there! 🙂